Save time and money securing the right people for maximum impact in your business.
Petya Ransomware is different than regular ransomwares we have seen in. It infects low-level structure (MBR [Master Boot Record], MFT [Master File Table]) and doesn’t allow the computer to boot normally. It will infect MBR and on restart, it has its own low language code to encrypt MFT, which makes the drive inaccessible.
UK, Ukraine, India, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, and others
Encrypts MFT (Master File Tree) tables for NTFS partitions and overwrites the MBR (Master Boot Record) with a custom bootloader that shows a ransom note and prevents victims from booting their computer.
Malware dropped file:
Infection and Propagation Vectors :
This malware is known to be propagated via spam emails that contain a link to a dropbox shared .zip file. This archive contains a .jpg photo and the actual malware executable. Known filenames of the photo and executable:
Indicators Of Compromises (IOCs):
1. Source E-mail address
3. Suspected IPs:
How to Mitigate the attacks of PETYA:
The basic mitigation methods for such infection are the usual best practices in network security. By following them and training users to follow them, the chance of getting infected by ransomware is lowered considerably:
• Avoid opening attachments in emails from untrusted sources. If your company allows, implement rules to block attachments with common executable extensions.
• Avoid opening links in email and chat windows from untrusted sources, and double-check them if they are sent by a trusted connection. Sometimes an infected machine may send links to all contacts found in the email/chat application, which would appear to the destination as if coming from a trusted contact.
• Keep all of your software up to date, including your operating system, Office package, browser, and any plugins you may be using. Disable any unnecessary plugins to avoid the extra attack surface.
• Keep your Antivirus up to date to help avoid other infections that may bring the ransomware to your machine.
• Apply all the latest patches released by MS for mitigating WannaCry Attacks:
• Disable SMBv1 messaging protocol from all the servers and end user PCs
• Update the following Anti-Virus hashes:
Other Useful Information about PETYA
Seems that the PETYA malware is spreading through ETERNALBLUE & WMIC (Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line) Utility used by Sys Admins
PETYA has hit much of the Infastructure of Ukraine, including Large Banks, the Government, Multiple Fuel Companies and more (https://twitter.com/DevinAckles/status/879696955210952704)
PETYA has infected big European companies such as Maersk so far from the start of the attack (https://twitter.com/Maersk/status/879689865184636928)
And at least one other large company (https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/879702625737994240)
Is not Limited to Ukraine, at least one report in Spain & USA.
Bitcoin Addr receiving payments:
Article by channel:
Everything you need to know about Digital Transformation
The best articles, news and events direct to your inbox
A better way to hire for digital transformation. Quality candidates expertly matched to your business guaranteed to save you time and money.